Monday, April 20, 2020

Quarantine Chronicles: Sewing Adventures

Good day!
Hope you're all doing as well as possible! I've been doing a lot of sewing during our time at home and wanted to share my projects with you. If you have any questions about how I constructed the projects I can post a more detailed description in a later post.

I started out making several things for my coming little one, starting with the diaper bag. I had planned this for awhile, but never got started on it until the quarantine. Probably because it involved many things I haven't done before and I felt needed more time to focus on it. I don't usually make bags, but this one turned out so good! I will definitely be trying my hand at others.


I had a chance just as the quarantine closed up several stores, to go out and get fabric for this with my Mom. We had a blast picking out the fabric for the diaper bag as you can see above. I had picked out the pattern, the Maker's Tote, almost a year ago. We also got supplies to make changing pads in a similar theme.

 I, of course, did a test packing after it was done to find out if it really was a good size and it's perfect. The only thing I might add on later, somehow, is a shoulder strap.
The next thing I made was two changing pads which were super simple. The hardest part was deciding what size I wanted them to be.
I got some iron-on laminate, so that I could make whatever cotton I picked out become water proof and used a soft flannel for the other side. Some cotton quilt batting went between and then I just did a typical bias binding like you do on a normal quilt.
I took the extra time to hand sew the binding down, so I wouldn't break the water proof side. That took a long time, since I'm still not that used to hand sewing, but it was worth it! They look perfect!
 I also sewed in a strap at the top. That way I could fold them in thirds long ways, then about the same up and tie them in a small bundle, for when they were in the diaper bag.
I still had flannel and laminate left so I decided to make some sheets for my bassinet. I put the laminate on the underside of the flannel so that it would still feel like flannel to lay on, but wouldn't let water damage the bassinet mattress.
I spent awhile sewing masks and cleaning the house. During which time we realized that a cloth bag would be the perfect way to store this wood train a friend got the baby. After going through my scraps to make the masks, I found this piece of fabric that I couldn't make into a mask to be used elsewhere, but I realized it would be perfect for the train. I lined it with muslin for neatness and extra durability and it turned out perfect!

I've run out of this to make for the baby, because I don't have clothing patterns for the little one yet, but I did buy those the other day! These are some of the books and patterns I got. They should be coming in by the end of this week, so next week I'll be having a lot of baby/toddler clothes to sew.
For this week I'm working on two maternity items I need soon. One is a cute pair of overalls that I'm making a shorts version of. It should fit me after pregnancy too, which is always great. The other is a sun dress from a light weight rayon fabric Tom picked out for me. You'll have to wait till next week to see those finished products. Hope your week goes well and I'll be posting again soon! Stay healthy and sane out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment